Vastu Shastra is a traditional Indian architectural system that guides the design and construction of buildings to create a harmonious and balanced environment. The term “Vastu” refers to “dwelling” or “building” in Sanskrit, and “Shastra” means “science” or “knowledge.” It is believed to be an ancient science originating from the Vedas, the sacred texts of Hinduism.
According to Vastu Shastra, the design and layout of a building should be in harmony with the natural elements and energies of the universe to promote health, prosperity, and well-being. It incorporates principles of architecture, astrology, and spirituality to determine the best orientation, placement, and arrangement of rooms, entrances, windows, and other architectural features.
Key principles of Vastu Shastra include:
1. Orientation: The building should be aligned with the cardinal directions, with the main entrance typically facing east.
2. Five Elements: Vastu takes into account the five elements (earth, water, fire, air, and space) and their balance within a space. Each element corresponds to a specific direction and is associated with particular qualities.
3. Zones: Vastu divides a building into different zones, each with its recommended function. For example, the north is associated with wealth and prosperity, while the northeast is considered auspicious for prayer and meditation.
4. Room Placement: The placement of various rooms within a building is based on their function and the energies they generate. For instance, the kitchen is ideally placed in the southeast, while bedrooms are recommended in the southwest.
5. Energy Flow: Vastu emphasizes the free flow of positive energy (prana) throughout the building. Blocked or stagnant energy can have adverse effects on the occupants’ well-being.
It’s important to note that Vastu Shastra is a traditional belief system and not supported by scientific evidence. However, many people in India and other parts of the world still consider its principles while designing and constructing buildings as a way to enhance the overall harmony and balance within a space.Continue reading “what is vastu shastra and how vastu purush affects our life? “